Apple Crumble Cinnamon Rolls
What’s better than apple pie and cinnamon rolls? These apple crumble cinnamon rolls! The gooey cinnamon filling + warm apple chunks + a crunchy crumble = deliciousness! (Also a nap on a plate 😉) These are a perfect Mother’s Day breakfast or any weekend! These cinnamon rolls are pre made the night before and baked the next morning, making it super easy to just pop in the next day! Now, we know yeast has been a hot ticket right now, but we’ve found a substitute; click here. This was our last packet of yeast so we had to use it on something AMAZING! Let’s get baking!
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cinnamon & Apple Filling
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, room temp (1/2 a stick)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 oz. cream cheese, room temp
- 2 tbsp butter, room temp
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Start by warming your milk until sizzling on the side. You can use the stove or a microwave.
- Next, use a stand or hand mixer to mix the milk, sugar, and yeast. Just lightly mix until everything is combined. Let sit for a few minutes while the yeast activates; it will be foamy on top. If it’s not foamy, your yeast is dead.
- Then, add your melted butter into the yeast mixture and combine. Next, add in your egg and continue to mix until evenly incorporated.
3. Now, add in your flour and salt until a dough begins to form and everything is mixed. Should take between 3-4 minutes. The dough will be slightly sticky and soft.
4. Add the dough to a floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes. You can use a silicone mat, marble surface, or even a cutting board. To knead, fold the dough in half and push forward with the heel of your palm.
5. Make the dough into a ball and set inside a bowl. Cover with a bowl or plastic wrap and place in a dark, warm spot for 2 hours.
6. While the dough is proofing, let’s make the cinnamon filling. Add all your filling ingredients except the apple to a bowl and whisk until combined. It will be pasty but spreadable. Cover and set aside.
7. If you haven’t peeled and chopped your apple, you can do that now too, but if they’re going to sit, drizzle with a little lemon juice to prevent browning.
8. To check if the dough has proofed enough lightly press your fingers into the top and if impressions are made and it springs back, it’s done.
9. Once the dough is proofed, place it on a hard, floured surface and roll into a 10×6″ rectangle with a rolling pin.
10. Once rolled, spread the cinnamon filling on top of the dough evenly leaving a 1/2″ border on the sides.
11. Sprinkle your diced apples over the filling evenly.
12. Starting on the long side of the dough tightly begin to roll the dough away from you. Make sure the roll is pretty tight but don’t squeeze the dough.
13. Use a serrated knife and cut 6-7 even rolls.
14. Line a 9″ wide and 3″ deep circle cake pan with parchment. Place the rolls in the circle and cover tightly with plastic wrap. If you’re having plastic wrap problems, you can use a rubber band on the side to ensure that it’s tight.
15. Place the rolls in the fridge for 8-12 hours overnight.
16. The next morning, remove the rolls from the fridge and let set at room temp for 1-2 hours.
17. While the rolls are sitting, let’s make the crumble! Add all your crumble ingredients to a small bowl and mix together. Use your fingers to incorporate the butter if you have to. It will be crumbly but not too dry.
18. Once the rolls have sat, pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Sprinkle the crumble over the tops of the rolls and sides.
19. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the edges are crisp and it will be bubbly.
20. While the rolls are baking, let’s make the icing! Start by beating together your butter and cream cheese in a small bowl.
21. Next, add in your powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
22. Lastly, add in your vanilla extract and cinnamon. Mix until combined and smooth. It won’t be very thick.
23. Once the rolls are baked and out of the oven, drizzle the icing over the rolls and enjoy! 😋