Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
These chewy lemon sugar cookies are so easy it’s almost hard to pass up. Each bite is filled with a little chew from the cookie, slightly crisp edges, and a bright lemon cream cheese icing on top. They’re made with just a few ingredients and come together in a snap. Definitely the perfect summer cookie to have again and again. Chewy with just enough crisp.. yum!
I just started to realize the june bugs (cicadas…) here in Denver and I always love the sound. For some reason they always remind me of summer and warm nights playing outside. I’ve always called them June bugs, no idea why, but I do. What do you call them?
I feel like it’s been a while since I shared just a basic cookie recipe, so it’s about time. It really doesn’t get much easier than this. The cookies come together with an easy batter and topped off with a generous scoop of lemon cream cheese icing. I mean, yummo.
At first I was a little bit worried about these cookies because the batter is a little more cake-y than cookie like, so I wasn’t sure how they would come out, but they’re a keeper for sure! The cake like consistency makes them like those bakery cookies from the store that are extra chewy and soft, but still hold shape.
tools to have on hand
Really there’s no fancy equipment for these cookies, but I’m sharing a few of my favorite kitchen essentials anyway that could be helpful.
Hand Mixer – We recently got this new hand mixer and I absolutely love it! The beaters have silicone so they’re less loud, it’s digital with and adjustable button, and there’s a light! I also hear now they have cordless mixers, so that will definitely be my next purchase.
Zester – We also added a new zester to our collection in the last couple of months and it’s great. It’ll take a layer of skin right off if you don’t watch.
Large Scoop – I use this cookie scoop for everything- cookies, cupcake batter, ice cream…etc. I love the size of it because everything bigger is better.
Offset spatula – This tool is definitely another one of my faves. It makes it really easy to spread things on and make it even. I love it for icing, frosting, and smooth out thicker batters.
ingredients you need for the chewy lemon sugar cookies
- baking soda
- lemon zest + juice
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
These cookies really are about as simple as they look. Throw together the batter, bake, and top ’em off with a hefty scoop of cream cheese icing.
Whisk your dry ingredients until just combined and set aside.
In another bowl, mix your wet ingredients together including your butter, sugar, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla. What’s different about this cookie dough is it’s a little thinner initially then more cake-like once baked.
While the oven heats, let the dough sit and thicken up just slightly. Use a big cookie scoop and bake about 6 cookies per sheet. They will spread out once baked.
Let the cookies cool before frosting.
Cream all your frosting ingredients together until creamy and smooth. Use an offset spatula to smear the lemon frosting onto each cookie. I garnished mine with some sprinkling sugar and sprinkles for a fun, festive look!
Happy baking friends! I hope you enjoy these chewy lemon sugar cookies as much as I do!
Are you lemon’s #1 fan? You’ll love these:
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it below in the comments or on Instagram @tuesday.treats or use #tuesdaytreats2016. I love seeing your creations!
Chewy Lemon Sugar CookiesCourse: CookiesCuisine: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Step aside chocolate chip, these chewy lemon sugar cookies are chewy and bright with the creamiest frosting to top it off.
- Lemon Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter, melted (2 sticks)
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest (About 1 lemon)
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
6 oz cream cheese, room temp
1/2 cup butter, room temp (1 stick)
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon Cookies
- In a small bowl, whisk your dry ingredients including your flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk your butter and sugar until combined. Next, add in your lemon juice + zest, eggs, and vanilla. Add your dry ingredients to the wet and gently stir with a spatula until the dough comes together. (It will be soft)
- Let the dough sit while the oven heats to 350 F.
- Use a large cookie scoop (2 oz) and scoop the dough balls onto a large cookie sheet leaving at least 2″ between them. Bake 5-6 cookies at a time. Bake for 10-14 minutes until the edges are just puffy and golden. Let cool once baked.
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Start by creaming together your butter and cream cheese until fluffy and light.
- Add in your powdered sugar and cream until smooth and sweet to taste. Lastly, add in your lemon zest and vanilla extract until combined.
- Use an offset spatula or knife to smooth the icing onto each cookie. Top it off with some sanding sugar and sprinkles!