Small Batch Lemon Scones
I don’t know about you but lemon may be one of the best flavors out there! One bite of these warm lemon scones and nothing can beat it! Literally. The great thing about scones is they’re not overly sweet but still satisfy that sweet tooth. Not only may they be the best lemon scones you’ll ever have, but they are ready in less than 30 minutes and only use 1 bowl. Not to mention you won’t have 10 extra ones laying around tempting you while you’re trying to eat healthy. But right now, we’re kind of wishing we had made extra. 😉 I mean, just look at the shiny glaze… 😍 This little batch only makes 4, which may be the perfect number so you can actually eat something other than these all day. Anyway, did we mention they’re the BEST and super easy? Let’s get baking!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream + some extra for brushing (Don’t have any, click here for a substitute.)
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tbsp butter, chilled and diced
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp milk
- Start by lining 1 cookie sheet with parchment paper. Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
1. Whisk together your flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
2. Next, add in your diced butter and use a pastry cutter or fork to combine the butter and flour mixture. Make sure all the butter is completely combined and evenly added. It will still be a little dry but able to make chunks.
3. Now, add in your egg yolk, zest, and heavy whipping cream. Use a fork to combine or your hands. Just gently mix until everything is added, as soon as it is, stop.
4. Form the dough into a ball and place in the middle of your baking sheet. Flatten the dough into a 7 1/2″ circle until it’s about 1/2″ thick. Now, gently use a knife or spatula to cut the dough into 4 equal triangles.
5. Spread out on the baking sheet and bake for 13-14 minutes until the edges are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
6. While the scones are baking, let’s make the glaze. Add all your ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until smooth. If you prefer a thicker glaze, add a little extra powdered sugar. If you prefer a thinner glaze, add more milk.
7. Once the scones are baked, remove them from the oven and drizzle the glaze with a spoon.
Ta-da! Enjoy! 😋😍