Amazing Lemon Ginger Bars
I’m staying on the citrus train and not getting off anytime soon! (This recipe + one more coming soon) Imagine the best lemon bars, now add a little spicy ginger. Ohhh yeah, you know what I’m saying. These amazing lemon ginger bars are super tart and creamy with a perfect cream cheese shortbread crust. The soft neutral crust plus the zesty lemon curd filling is absolutely the bomb. And of course, can’t forget the ginger! Some bites really have a kick, while others are more tart.
the best lemon bars + ginger
Frankly, I would consider these to be the best lemon bars because the filling is so vibrant and yummy, but that added ginger truly tops it all off. If you wanted to go with the classic, you could surely skip the ginger, but let me tell you, once you try it, you’ll never go back.
I’m always a sucker for citrus or lemon anything and these lemon bars are really a weakness. There’s something about that crispy, but still chewy cream cheese shortbread that is just better than anything.
Enough said, you probably want the recipe??
what you need
Just a simple list of ingredients for the easiest and most delicious lemon bars.
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon juice + zest
- Freshly grated ginger or ground ginger
how to make the best tart lemon ginger bars
Sometimes I think lemon bars seem like they’re a big task or complicated, but let me tell you, these are about the easiest it gets. Mix together your dough, press it in the pan to bake, add all of the lemony goodness to a small bowl, whisk, then bake some more.
The filling is more on the side of a tart lemon curd rather than a smooth lemon custard. Maybe it’s just me, but sometimes I’m kinda picky on my lemon filling and pies. I like the bright, tart, and more curd-like ones compared to the creamy custard-like ones. I think the lemon flavor in the curd ones is brighter, but of course, I’ll never pass up any sort of lemon dessert.
Cream butter, cream cheese, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy. Then mix in your flour until just incorporated. Press in the bottom of an 8×8″ or 9×9″ pan, lined with parchment, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
In a medium bowl whisk eggs, sugar, lemon juice + zest, ginger, salt, and vanilla extract. It will be thin, don’t worry. Next, gently whisk in the flour until there are no chunks and it’s fully incorporated.
Pour the dreamy lemon filling over the lightly cooled crust and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. To check if it’s fully baked, give the pan a tap. If the consistency is like jello, it’s done. If it’s more like milk, it needs a bit more time. Make sure not to cook them too long otherwise they’ll brown and not be as creamy. Chill for at least 2 hours in the fridge to set. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
when to make the lemon ginger bars
Lemon reminds me of summer, but in all fairness, it’s the middle of winter and currently snowing like the alps, but I’m still enjoying these bars.
It is citrus season, but these lemon bars are amazing all year-round. Bring them to a picnic, brunch, or just treat yourself because it’s the middle of the week.
They are best stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
want to go all out and candy lemons? here’s what to do:
For picture’s sake, I candied some lemons and added them as a fun topper. Of course, this is optional but if you’re going for the showstopper look, here’s what to do. I took a shortcut, but it worked out.
Add 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar to a medium pot. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then add in your thinly sliced lemons. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the lemons are just clear. (Be careful of overcooking, otherwise, they’ll fall apart, kinda like mine 😁)
Now, you’re supposed to dry them off and let them dry out overnight, but who has time for that? I gently dried mine on a paper towel and called it a day.
Are you a lemon lover? Check these out:
- Basque Burnt Lemon Cheesecake
- Lemon Cream & Cranberry Tart
- Small Batch Lemon Scones
- Tangy Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Let me know in the comments below or on Instagram @tuesday.treats. I love seeing your creations!
Amazing Lemon Ginger BarsCourse: Brownies and Bars, FavoritesCuisine: DessertDifficulty: Easy
These amazing lemon ginger bars are tart, vibrant, and perfect any time of the year. The sweet curd sits on top of a chewy and crisp cream cheese shortbread. Not to mention, they are about the easiest thing ever!
- Cream Cheese Shortbread
4 oz cream cheese, room temp
1/2 cup butter, room temp (1 stick)
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
- Dreamy Lemon Filling
2/3 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon zest
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger or 1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9×9″ or 8×8″ pan with nonstick spray and parchment paper. Make sure the parchment paper comes up the sides so it’s easy to pull out after it’s chilled.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy. Then mix in your flour until just incorporated. Press the crust into the bottom of your pan and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, sugar, lemon juice, zest, ginger, salt, and vanilla extract. It will be thin, don’t worry. Next, gently whisk in the flour until there are no chunks and it’s fully incorporated.
- Pour the dreamy lemon filling over the lightly cooled crust and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. To check if it’s fully baked, give the pan a tap. If the consistency is like jello, it’s done. If it’s more like milk, it needs a bit more time. Make sure not to cook them too long, otherwise, they’ll brown and not be as creamy. Chill for at least 2 hours to overnight in the fridge to set. Dust with powdered sugar and cut into 16 even squares. Enjoy!
- If you want to top the bars with candied lemons like me, visit my notes in the post above.
- Bars can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
5 thoughts on “Amazing Lemon Ginger Bars”
Those lemon bars look amazing!!
They are!! And really easy!