Tangy Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
Let’s face it, lemon may be our favorite flavor! Step aside strawberry, there’s a new guy in town and it may be better 🤫. I mean I really love all fresh flavors but lemon can be paired with anything and it’s amazing. Today we’re making some lemon sugar cookie bars, and they be your next go to summer dessert! Super tart lemon flavor paired with that chewy sugar cookie is unbeatable and let’s not forget about that glaze. 😋 Oh, of course, I almost forgot, we made a video too! Check it out here or at the bottom of the recipe. Let’s get baking!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar + 1 tbsp for topping
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp lemon zest, about 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8″ square pan with parchment paper and leave handles on the sides so it’s easy to lift up later on.
- Now, combine together your lemon zest and sugar together with your fingers so the oils from the zest can combine and create a stronger lemon flavor.
2. Cream together your butter and lemon sugar until light and creamy.
3. Next, add in the egg, baking powder, and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined.
4. Add in the flour and mix until a dough like texture forms. It will be a very soft dough, not like typical firmer cookie dough.
5. Add the dough to your 8×8″ pan and smooth out using a spatula or offset spatula. If your parchment paper is moving a lot while trying to smooth, add some black binder clips to the sides to hold it in place while you smooth it. Remove them before baking.
6. Once smoothed, sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar evenly over the top of the dough. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges and top are just golden.
7. Once baked, let cool before icing. While the bars are cooling, whisk together your lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth with no lumps. If you prefer a thicker icing, add a few extra tablespoons of powdered sugar. If you prefer thinner, add a few extra teaspoons of lemon juice.
8. Once the bars have cooled, drizzle the icing over the bars. Cut and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Tangy Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars”