Orange Citrus Sugar Cookies
It’s Day #10 of our 12 Days of Cookies and we’re making Orange Citrus Sugar Cookies! Everyone needs a break from chocolate or peppermint cookies spring the holidays; why don’t you spice it up with some orange zest! Let’s get baking!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 lb powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by creaming together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Then, add your egg and egg yolk and combine. Then, continue to mix in your vanilla and orange zest.
3. Add you flour and salt and mix until dough begins to form.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until firm.
5. While dough is refrigerating, pre-heat the oven to 375 F.
6. Once refrigerated, on a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough until 1/4” thick.
7. Use Christmas cookie cutters or preferred cutters to cut the dough and place on cookie sheets.
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes until eyes are just golden. Let the cookies cool before decorating.
While the cookies are cooling, let’s make the glaze.
9. Add all your ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until fully smooth and combined. If the glaze is too thick, add more powdered sugar, if it’s too thin, add more orange juice.
10. Once cookies are cooled, dip then into the glaze face down and pull up letting excess glaze drip off. Then place on a flat surface and add decorative sprinkles.
2 thoughts on “Orange Citrus Sugar Cookies”