Lemon Blackberry Cupcakes
Hello everyone! Since the monthly contest is berries, we wanted to put a fresh jazz on cupcakes. This is actually our first post on cupcakes and we were super excited! Make sure to submit to the Pie Contest 2018! Check the bottom of this page for a form to submit your own recipe.
Let’s get started!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 sticks butter, very soft
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then line your cupcake pans with the paper liners and set aside.
- Then, combine together your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Once combined, set aside.
3. Now, use a large measuring cup/bowl and combine your milk, sour cream, vanilla, and egg whites. I used a whisk to mix it together. After mixing, set aside.
4. Then, combine together your sugar and lemon zest using your fingers in a small bowl.
5. Using your stand mixer with the paddle attachment mix together your melted butter and sugar.
6. Then slowly add your flour mixture to your butter and sugar mixture. Beat for a minute or two before adding your sour cream mixture, then continue beating on low. Add some lemon juice for extra flavor if needed. Don’t over mix the batter.
7. Then scoop your batter out and divide it into your cupcake liners. Bake for 16-19 minutes. After they are baked, let them cool before adding frosting.
8. Start by combining your blackberries and lemon juice in a small pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and constantly stir. After about 6 minutes they should be done and mushy. Then push the puree through a strainer over a small bowl. (If you are having a hard time pushing it through the strainer, you can use the bottom of a glass cup to push the juice out of it.)
9. Then, mix together your butter using the paddle attachment on your mixer. Then add your blackberry puree and continue mixing. Then add your confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time mixing slowly. Scrape the side in between cups. Then add salt and mix on high for a minute.
10. Decorating time! We used a Wilton tip 1M to frost our cupcakes. Once frosted, add blackberries on top for garnish and a slice of a lemon. (Optional)