Birthday Cake Cupcakes
Today is a special day and you might not think it, but… it’s our website’s birthday! We’ve officially had Tuesday Treats for 4 wonderful years and it has gone by so quickly. So, of course we had to celebrate with some birthday cupcakes, right?! These little sprinkle filled cupcakes are tender and moist, topped with the most smooth and creamy vanilla frosting. It’s a party in one bite! Let’s get baking!
- 1 1/2 cups flour + 3 tbsp
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt, room temp
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temp (If you don’t have any, click here for a hack)
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- More sprinkles for decoration 😉
- Start by pre heating your oven to 350 F. Line 2 cupcake pans with papers and set aside.
- Next, whisk together your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream together your butter and sugar for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Now, add in the oil and continue to mix. Scrap the sides in between mixing.
4. Then, add in your eggs one by one mixing in between. After the eggs are added, mix in your vanilla until fully incorporated.
5. Next, add in your sour cream or yogurt and mix.
6. Alternately begin to add your dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter. (Dry, mix, buttermilk, mix, dry…)
7. Once everything is evenly mixed, stop mixing because we don’t want to over mix the batter causing it to be dry and dense. Now, fold in your sprinkles until they are evenly added.
8. Scoop the batter into the cupcake papers until they are half-full and bake for 18-20 minutes until the tops are puffed, golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Let the cupcakes cool fully before decorating. In the meantime, let’s make the frosting!
10. Whip together your butter until light and fluffy, then begin to add your powdered sugar in 1 cup at a time. Continue mixing.
11. Once all the powdered sugar is added, mix in the vanilla.
12. If your frosting is too thick, add 1-2 tbsp of milk, unless it’s how you like.
13. Add your frosting to a piping bag with a large piping tip. We used the Wilton 1M star tip.
14. Pipe the cupcakes starting in the middle and then to the edges to create the base. Then continue the swirl up.
15. Garnish with sprinkles of course. 😁