Lemon Meringue Pie
This recipe is a favorite of ours and it is such a spring-y dessert! We made Lemon Meringue Pie. Now, don’t let the name fool you, the recipe isn’t that difficult.
You can either buy a crust or you can make one by scratch. We chose to buy a crust, but either one will taste great! If you buy a crust, you can use the instructions on the container, if there are no instructions, cook it at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for about 18-20 minutes. Then take it out and let it come to room temperature.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp sugar
- powdered sugar
- Start by slightly beating the egg yolks in a bowl. Then set them aside.
- Then grab a medium sized sauce pan and combine together your sugar, cornstarch, water, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Then bring the mixture to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, pour half of the mixture into your egg yolks and beat for about 1 minute.
- Then transfer the rest of the egg yolk mixture into the remaining lemon juice mixture. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and stir constantly. Once mixture begins to boil, cook it for another minute or so. Then remove it from the burner and stir in your butter.
- Now, pour your filling into your cooled pie crust.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a bowl to combine together the egg whites and cream of tartar and vanilla. It should be glossy and foamy looking. (The tips should have soft high peaks when it is ready.)
- Gradually add sugar into the mixture and keeping the stirring going, if you are using a automatic mixer. Then every time you add some sugar, make it go faster and faster each time, until you have reached the highest level, that is if you are using an automatic mixer.
- Now spread the meringue on top of your pie and spread it out to the edges of the crust. Create little wisps so they can brown in the oven.
- Then dust the top of the pie with a little powdered sugar, and then bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Once done baking, let it sit out for about 20 minutes before putting it into the fridge to set.
Time to Eat!
Kinda messy, but delicious!
2 thoughts on “Lemon Meringue Pie”