Not Your Mama’s Pretzel Chocolate Cake
What’s better than chocolate? Another layer of chocolate! Then another layer of chocolate!
Today we’ll be making a 3 layer chocolate cake!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Food Coloring Gel (any color)
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl using a fork.
- Then combine all of the wet ingredients in a different bowl. Once combined then pour into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Then pour mixture into 3 greased pans. To grease the pans use butter and some flour, that make it easier to get out.
- Then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes. The layers will be a little thin.
- Then remove the cakes from the pans to let cool before preparing.
While the cake is cooling we are going to make the frosting.
- In a small bowl beat together your butter, milk, vanilla, sugar, and salt until light and smooth.
- Then put some pretzels into a bag and crush them.
- Then once frosting is done, start preparing your cake. Get a nice plate or platter to have your cake on.
- Place the 1st layer on the plate/platter. Then frost a good amount on the 1st layer. After the frosting sprinkle some pretzel bits on the frosting. Repeat this process until all of your frosting, cake layers and pretzel bits are gone.
- Once your last layer is on put your final amount of frosting on the top, but leave some extra for the sides. Tip: To make a nice smooth top, go back and forth twisting your hand and wrist with the knife to make it even.
- Then put the extra bit of frosting on the sides of the cake. Tip: Do the same motion as Step 7, except in a diagonal way.
- As a finishing touch you can use any color of food coloring gel to do the decorating part. We chose to use dark purple.
- Squeeze the gel back and forth, but don’t squeeze to much out at one time. Then take the soft edge of your knife and draw down in the opposite direction you drew the color.
Then cut, serve and enjoy!