Spritz Sugar Cookies
Today we decided to begin the new year with a new technique of baking. We’re making spritz cookies! Many of you may have never heard of what a spritz cookie is, neither had we. For Christmas we received, what we call, a cookie gun. This is probably one of the coolest and easiest baking tools on the planet! Let’s get spritzing!
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
(with no meringue powder)
- Almost 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F. Then grab a big cookie sheet, but don’t line it with parchment paper.
- Then in a bowl cream together your butter and sugar. Then once mixed add your vanilla extract, egg, and almond extract. Then mix until it’s all combined together.
3. Then add in your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Then you will stuff your cookie gun with some of your dough, and punch out different designs onto your pan.
5. Once the pan is filled put them in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Once baked, pop out of the oven let cool on a drying rack or a cutting board.
6. While they are cooling, repeat steps 4-5 over and over until you’re out of dough.
- Then start preparing your royal icing. Mix together all your ingredients until stiff peaks start to form.
2. Then put some icing into your piping bag with a Wilton 3 tip. Start creating little designs on your cookie to your preference. Then you can always add a few sprinkles! (Usually, spritz cookies are plain with sugar, but we wanted to do something a little different, but we still have some plain ones as well.)
Ta-da! They’re done!