Classic Coffee Cake
Today we wanted to make something easy and delicious! Of course, this has to be a coffee cake! No matter the time of the year or the day this is always a sweet treat to have on hand. Let’s get baking!
Note: This recipe contains nuts. If you have an allergy, feel free to exclude them.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter (4 tbsp)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 F. Then grease either a bundt pan or an angel food cake pan. We greased it with butter, then shook around some cinnamon/sugar mixture. (All you need to do to make this is about 1 cup of sugar and a few shakes of cinnamon. Also, if you have extra it’s really good on buttered toast.)
2. After greasing, mix together all your filling ingredients and set aside.
3. Next, you are going to mix together your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Then set aside.
4. Then in a larger bowl, beat together your sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs. Mix until completely combined, scraping the sides in between.
5. Then alternately beat in the flour mixture and sour cream. Flour, beat, sour cream, beat…until fully combined.
6. Pour in 1/3 of the batter into the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle some filling onto it. Then repeat until the batter and filling is gone.
7. Then bake for 1 hour, until the toothpick comes out clean. Then take it out of the pan and let cool. Once cooled, add powdered sugar for garnish.
8. While the rest of the cake is cooling, it’s time to make the glaze. In a small saucepan melt your butter until brown. Then stir in your powdered sugar and continue heating on low until smooth. Then add your vanilla and milk. Continue stirring until thin and smooth.
9. Then garnish your coffee cake with the glaze, vertically and horizontally. Just a little drizzle goes a long way.
Ta-da! Wonderful luscious layers of moist coffee cake. It is so so good!