Ooey-Gooey Millionaire Bars
Today we’re making some millionaire bars, and trust me, they’re priceless! 😉 A millionaire bar is is typically just a shortbread base, caramel filling, and topped with chocolate, but these are above and beyond, in fact, we should’ve named them billionaire bars, they’re so good! The special touch of browned butter makes them extra flavorful and toffee-like. With that gooey caramel filling, you just can’t resist! Let’s get baking!
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup brown butter + 2 tbsp, room temp
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1, 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup browned butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp neutral oil, separated
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Start by browning the butter to have it ready for the recipe. Add butter to a medium pot and place over medium heat.
2. Cook butter until melted and stirring occasionally. Once melted, cook for another 4-5 minutes until the butter is browned and has a nutty-toffee smell.
3. Once browned, pour into a bowl and chill in the freezer until almost solid.
4. Once solid, remove from freezer and let come to room temp.
5. Now, time to start the shortbread crust! Pre-heat your oven to 325 F. Grease an 8×8″ square pan and line with parchment paper leaving some extra for the side handles. Set aside.
6. Cream together your butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
7. Next, add in your vanilla, salt and flour. Mix until fully combined.
8. Add the dough to the bottom of your pan and use a measuring cup to pat the dough down until even and smooth.
9. Poke holes in the crust almost to the bottom with a fork. Bake for 30-33 minutes until golden.
10. Once the crust is baked, set aside and let fully cool.
11. Now, it’s time to make the caramel! Add your brown sugar, brown butter, and sweetened condensed milk to a medium pot. Place over medium heat and stir until melted.
12. Once it’s melted, lower the heat to medium-low and continue to stir nonstop with a spatula or whisk. Make sure to constantly scrape the sides and stir the caramel, otherwise it will burn fast!
13. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until the color is darker and caramel texture. You can also use a candy thermometer and heat it to 220 F. Once it hit 220 F, it’s done.
14. Carefully pour the caramel onto the shortbread and even out by moving the pan and getting all the edges.
15. Transfer to the fridge and let chill for 1 1/2 hours.
16. Once the bars are chilled, they shouldn’t be warm and the caramel will be harder on top.
17. For the last touch, melt your milk chocolate with 2 tbsp of oil on the stove or in the microwave. If you are microwaving, heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between. If you’re heating on the stove, continually stir until melted and then turn off heat.
18. To melt the white chocolate, do the same thing with 1 tbsp of oil.
19. Pour the milk chocolate over the bars and move the pan to get it on all the edges.
20. Now, add your white chocolate to a piping bag and snip the end off. If you don’t have a piping bag, you can just use a spoon to drizzle.
21. Use the piping bag to pipe thin horizontal lines across the chocolate.
22. Now, use a toothpick to drag over the lines up and down to create a feather design. Always do the opposite direction next to create the feather design.
23. Put the bars back in the fridge for about 1 – 1 1/2 hours until the chocolate hardens.
24. Once hardened, cut into even slices (We cut 16 slices).
3 thoughts on “Ooey-Gooey Millionaire Bars”
These bars look fabulous! May have to give in to my better judgement and make a batch for Gramps!🤗
You definitely should! 😋