Cherry Hand Pies
Happy Valentines Day! We wanted to make a sweet treat to celebrate Valentine’s Day. This is probably one of the easiest show stopping treats to make. Now, let’s get going!
P.S. – You don’t have to make your own crust, you could buy the premade circles at the store.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 tbsp cold butter (2 sticks)
- 6-10 tbsp cold water
- 2 cans cherry filling (We used the extra for one of our next recipes)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
- To begin your crust, start by mixing together your flour, salt and sugar. We used a stand mixer, but you could also use a hand mixer. (If you are using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment to make the crust.) While it is mixing, cut your butter into small chunks.
- Then add your butter chunks in sections, mixing in between. You might need to break up the butter since it’s cold.
4. Then add your water in small increments while mixing. Once it’s done, it will be a large dough ball.
5. We used a silicone pastry mat to roll the dough out on. Make sure to sprinkle some flour on the dough, rolling pin and the mat, or else the dough will stick. Roll it out to about 1/2 cm thick.
6. Use a medium sized heart cookie cutter to cut out the hearts, and set them to the side. If you have extra dough just re-roll it back up and do the same process as #4.
7. Now, it’s time to start assembling your hand pies. Whisk your 1 tbsp water and 1 egg together in a small bowl.
8. Lay out one of the heart crusts and lightly brush your egg wash onto the crust, then scoop about a spoonful of cherry filling into the middle of the heart.
9. Then lay another heart crust on top of the cherries and pinch around the sides with a fork.
10. Then brush the top of the pie with more egg wash and cut a small x in the middle.
11. Repeat steps 8-10 for the rest of your heart shaped crusts. You will have extra cherry filling, but you can use that for another recipe we are going to make soon.
12. After all the assembly is done, pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Then let cool before serving.