Berry Chantilly Cake
Today we did something we’ve never done before. We made a naked Berry Chantilly Cake! It’s probably one of the best cakes I’ve ever tasted and it’s super easy! Now, before we get going I have to warn you about one thing… this cake may be the best thing you’ve ever had! Many people told us that this cake is “…really, really GOOD!” and, “It’s flipping* delicious!” Now, let’s get going before we eat too much of this.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter, softened (room temp)
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 container strawberries, sliced and whole
- 2 containers raspberries
- 1 container blueberries
- Raspberry sugar (optional)
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 F. Grease your 8” or 9” circular cake pans.
- Then, start by combining together all your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine together your wet ingredients starting with the melted butter. Let the melted butter sit in the bowl for a few minutes to cool and then continue adding ingredients in this order; add oil, buttermilk, water, vinegar, eggs, vanilla extract. (You must do it in that order otherwise your eggs will heat up too much and start to cook.) Then gently whisk together until combined.
4. Then, add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix on medium for about 1-2 minutes. (It will not be very thick.)
5. Then distribute batter among your 3 cake pans evenly and bake for 30-35 minutes.
6. Once baked, remove from the oven and let cakes fully cool.
While cooling, let’s make the frosting!
7. Start by creaming together your butter, cream cheese, and mascarpone. Then, gradually add your confectioners’ sugar.
8. In a separate bowl whip together your heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Don’t over whip the cream, otherwise it will become chunky and grainy.
9. Then fold your whipped heavy whipping cream into the frosting and stir for a minute or so.
10. Start by making sure the cakes are cooled. Then, on your choice of platter or plate, put your first layer of cake down.
11. Then add frosting on top of your layer evenly. Then sprinkle your variety of fruits on top of the frosting. Continue this step for the rest of your layers.
12. Then,add frosting in the side crevices and smooth out around the edges.
13. Finally, add frosting on your last layer on top and even out smoothly using a frosting spatula. You can create designs on top with your spatula. Make sure sides and edges are smooth.
14. Lastly, garnish with some fruits on top in any way you desire. We also sprinkled some raspberry sugar on top as well.
Set in the fridge until ready to serve.