Red Velvet Surprise Box Cookies
Today is Day #7 of our 12 Days of Cookies and we’re making Red Velvet Surprise Box Cookies! These red velvet cookies crack open and spill sprinkles when you bite into them. What is more fun and festive than these around the holidays? Let’s get baking!
Red Velvet Cookie
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 375 F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or grease.
2. Beat butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Then, add in your vanilla, egg yolk, and red food coloring. Add red food coloring as needed until it is the red color you desire.
4. Then, continue to mix in your cocoa powder, flour, cornstarch, and salt until fully combined.
5. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into 1/4” thick. Use a square cookie cutter to cut your cookies and place on cookie sheets. Do 2 large squares and the edge square for one cookie.
6. Bake for 8-11 minutes until the edges are crisp.
7. Let the cookie cool before decorating and assembling.
While the cookies are cooling, let’s make the icing.
8. All all your ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth and combined. Add more milk or powdered sugar until the consistency is preferred.
9. Add the icing to a piping bag or plastic bag with the end snipped off to start decorating.
10. Pipe a small amount of icing on the edge of one cookie and place the square ring on top of that. Add decorative sprinkles to the inside of the cookie and add the 2nd square on top with another ring of icing around the edge. Continue this step for all your cookies.
11. Add present like decorations on top and enjoy!
Crack open and enjoy!