Tart Cherry Galette
4th of July is right around the corner and there’s no better way to celebrate than with this cherry galette! It’s festive, colorful, and super easy to whip up for the weekend. The cherries are juicy and tart which pairs perfectly with the flaky, buttery crust. I don’t know about you but nothing can beat this summer heat than some fresh fruit, especially when it’s in season. Let’s get baking.
- 1 1/4 cups butter, cold and cubed (2 1/2 sticks)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp cold butter
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg for brushing, whisked
- Turbinado sugar for crust
- Start by mixing together the flour, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture and cut it into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or fork. It may also be easiest to use your hands.
- Once the butter is mixed into the flour mixture, add in the cold water a little at a time. It is possible you may not need all the water.
- Mix the pie dough with your hands until everything comes together and it holds its shape. Shape the dough into a square and refrigerate until firm.
- Once the dough is firm, add the dough to a floured surface and roll the dough into a 12″ circle. The dough should be about 1/4″ thick. Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 390 F.
- Time to make the cherry filling! Add the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, vanilla, and butter to a medium pot on medium heat. Stir until combined and bring to a boil until thickened. Once thickened, remove from heat and gently stir in the cherries. Let sit for 20 minutes so the cherries can release their juices into the warm syrup.
- Once the cherries have sat, pour the cherry filling into the middle of the pie crust leaving 2 inches on the borders. If you notice there is too much juice before pouring, drain a little before adding it to the pie crust.
- Next, fold the edges over the top of the filling and lightly press the seams.
- Brush the edges with the whisked egg and sprinkle some turbinado sugar over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 390 F. After 20 minutes, reduce the heat to 355 F and bake for another 30-35 minutes.
- Garnish with ice cream (If you want 😉 ) and enjoy!
One thought on “Tart Cherry Galette”