Firecracker Cake Pops
Happy Memorials Day everyone! By honoring all the veterans and helpers that passed while serving our country, we are making Firecracker Cake Pops.
Let’s get going!
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk (No buttermilk? Visit here.)
- Red/Blue Food Coloring
- Pop Rocks
- Basic Glaze (1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 5-8 tbsp water/milk.)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
- Start by beating your egg whites until they are frothy. You don’t need a large bowl.
- Then start to add 1/2 cup of your sugar gradually. Don’t add it all at once. Beat on high with your hand mixer. Once soft peaks form set aside.
- In a separate bowl cream together your butter and the rest of your sugar (1 cup). Then add in your vanilla and almond extract. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together your flour, salt, and baking powder. Then start adding a little bit of flour mixture into your butter mixture. Then add buttermilk, then the flour mixture, then buttermilk and so on. Keep repeating this until all your ingredients are gone.
- Once all combined. Fold in about 1/3 of your egg white mixture, and stir scraping the sides as well. Keep adding thirds until all egg whites have been distributed.
- Then divide your batter into 3 bowls. Try and make it as even as you can. In one bowl add 36-40 drops of red food coloring. In the other bowl add 40 drops of blue food coloring. Leave the 3rd bowl white. (Note: We love our food coloring kit because it shows you how many colors to make. You can buy it here.)
- Once divided pour into pans and bake for 25 minutes. We used 8×8” pans.
- Once baked, let cool and begin assembling.
10. Once cooled, cut out circles. To do this, we used the top of a sprinkles cap. You could find anything in your house that’s easiest. You could even use a shot glass.
11. Once they are cut out, put them on top of each other and use a cake pop stick to go through them.
12. Once assembled, coat the bottoms with glaze and dip in Pop Rocks.