Fantastic Funfetti Cake
Spring just started and what’s better than Spring and sprinkles? Nothing! Today we tried out a secret recipe and a couple fun techniques. You’re not going to believe our secret ingredients!
Also, many of you may or may not know Teagan, but we would like to dedicate this recipe to her because it was her birthday yesterday. (If you have someone whose birthday is coming up and would like to request a cake or other dessert for their birthday, please contact us.) Let’s get baking!
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks). softened
- 3/4 cups rainbow sprinkles
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (No buttermilk? click this link)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6-8 oz vanilla yogurt
- 1 packet vanilla pudding mix
- 4 sticks butter
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp milk or heavy whipping cream
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
Make sure to also be checking out our new Frosting page for tones of recipes to come.
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 F. Then grease your 6″ or 8″ pans.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together your flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pudding mix. Set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy. Make sure to scrape down the sides.
4. Add in your eggs one at a time, mixing in between.
5.Once combined, add in your vanilla extract and mix. Then add in your yogurt and mix until fully combined.
6. Alternately mix in your flour and buttermilk into the mixed wet ingredients in thirds. Such as: flour, mix, buttermilk, mix, flour…
7. Gently fold in your sprinkles.
8. Evenly pour your batter into 3 pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
9. Once baked, remove from pans and let cool on cooling racks.
While the cakes are cooling, we are going to make the frosting.
10. Start by whipping the butter on medium with either a paddle attachment or a hand mixer.
11. Add in your powdered sugar slowly. Then continue beating until combined.
12. Finish it off by adding your vanilla extract and milk/cream and continue beating until fully combined and fluffy.
13. To begin assembly place your first layer of cooled cake on a sturdy surface. Add frosting on top and even it out until smooth. Add your next layer of cake and repeat this step for the next layers.
14. Once assembled, crumb coat the sides of your cake by gently smoothing frosting over the sides.
15. You may have seen the special sprinkle technique for cakes before and we finally tried it. All you have to do is get a small handful of sprinkles and stick them on the sides starting from the bottom to the top repeating it each column.
16. Garnish the top with small frosting dollops and sprinkles. We used Wilton tip 1M. (Optional)