Salted Caramel Apple Galette
Hello Everyone! Happy fall! We are finally getting into the spirit of fall and making some warm and cozy desserts for the season. Today we wanted to make a Salted Caramel Apple Galette! You may be wondering, what is a galette? It’s mostly a flat pie with some good filling and crust wrapped over the edges. Let’s get right into the sticky and yummy situation!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter, (1 stick), cubed and chilled
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 1/4 cup sugar
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
Filling and Topping:
- 3 apples, peeled (we used honey crisp)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- egg wash (1 egg, whisked with 1 tbsp milk)
- Small amount of chopped walnuts (optional)
- Let’s start by making the crust! In a medium bowl, whisk your flour, salt and sugar. Then add in your cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or fork to combine together until the butter is in small chunks.
2. Then, add in your water to the dough and continue mixing together until dough starts to form. Don’t be afraid to use your hands too!
3. Take out the dough and start forming on a floured surface with your hands until fully formed. Form into a ball and flatten. Cover with plastic wrap and chip for at least 1 hour.
While the dough is chilling, let’s make the apple filling!
4. Add your sliced apples to a bowl and then add in your brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Mix together fully so that the apples are covered.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge until the dough is done chilling.
While everything is chilling, let’s make the salted caramel sauce!
Salted Caramel Sauce
6. Start by adding your sugar to a medium pot on medium heat. Using a heat spatula constantly stir your sugar. Clumps will begin to form, then it will turn amber and melt. Be careful not to burn!
7. After melting, turn your heat down to medium-low and immediately add your butter. It will bubble a lot! Continue stirring until butter is melted.
8. Once the butter is melted, slowly stir in your heavy cream. This will also bubble! If your sauce is chunky, use a whisk to whisk quickly.
9. Once cream is added, take off heat and add salt.
10. Once the dough is done chilling, add it to a floured surface and roll out into a 12” circle.
11. Then, place your apple slices into the middle of the dough leaving 2-3 inches on the sides.
12. Fold over the edges of the dough and seal edges.
13. Add 2-3 tbsp of salted caramel over the top of your apples only. Then, add some walnuts, if you’re using them. Lastly, brush the edges with the egg wash.
14. Bake for 35-37 minutes until golden and bubbly.
15. Once baked, let cool, then add more caramel sauce and ice cream! Best served warm. 🙂 Mmmmmm…