Banana Cake with Nutella Frosting
Mmmmm… doesn’t the title just sound good in itself? One bite of this banana cake with creamy Nutella frosting and you won’t stop. This glossy frosting might be the best thing you’ve ever had! Let’s get baking!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, (1 stick)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup banana, mashed (2 bananas)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup nutella
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 F. Spray an 8×8 square pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together your butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Next, add in your eggs, mashed banana, buttermilk, and vanilla until fully combined. Set aside.
4. Whisk together your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until fully combined. Once mixed, pour into your pan.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes until top is golden and toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool before icing.
While the cake is cooling, let’s make the Nutella frosting!
7. Whip together your Nutella, butter, and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
8. Slowly add in your powdered sugar and mix until fully combined with no lumps.
9. Then, add in your vanilla and cream and beat until light and smooth.
10. Let frosting chill for 10 minutes in the fridge before smoothing.
Once everything is cooled, time to assemble.
11. Add your frosting to the top of your cake and use an offset icing spatula to smooth and add swoops.
12. Finally, garnish with chocolate shavings and enjoy!