Peppermint Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches
It’s Day #12 of our 12 Days of Cookies and we’re going out with a bang! We made Peppermint Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches! Mmmm, a soft shortbread surrounding creamy peppermint frosting and white chocolate, what could be better! These cookies are the bomb! Let’s get baking!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup rice flour or pastry flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 14-16 tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Crushed candy canes for garnish
- Start by mixing your flours, salt and sugar together until fully combined. Slowly add your butter cubes into the flour mixture until large crumbs form.
2. Add egg and vanilla extract and continue mixing until dough forms. if the dough is too crumbly, add a few extra tbsp of butter to the dough.
3. Add dough to a floured surface and mix with hands until a firmer dough forms and not too crumbly. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours to overnight.
4. Once refrigerated, pre-heat event to 350 F. Remove dough and let sit out for about 30 minutes to slightly soften.
5. Roll dough on a slightly floured surface until 1/4″ thick. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are golden.
While the cookies are cooling, let’s make the peppermint buttercream.
6. Beat your butter and powdered sugar together until smooth and creamy, then add your peppermint extract. Add extra powdered sugar to make it more thick if needed or less thick by added 1-2 tbsp milk.
7. Add buttercream to a plastic bag or piping bag and pipe a small amount on one side of the cookie and place another cookie on top to create a cooke sandwich.
8. Melt white chocolate and milk until smooth and creamy. You can melt it on the stove or in a microwave.
9. Carefully drizzle white chocolate over the cookies and garnish with crushed candy canes.
Ta-da! 🙂 Mmmmm
One thought on “Peppermint Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches”