Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookies
Today is Day #2 of the 12 Days of Cookies and we’re making Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookies! Nothing is better than a chewy chocolate cookie topped with peppermint buttercream and crushed candy canes. Let’s get baking!
Chocolate Sugar Cookie
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 14 tbsp butter
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 F.
2. Pour your sugar into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together your flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder.
4. In a large bowl, melt together 10 tbsp of butter. Once melted, stir in your 4 extra tbsp of butter.
5. Then, whisk in your vanilla, brown sugar, and salt into the melted butter.
6. Add in your egg and egg yolk and whisk until combined. Then, add in your flour mixture until fully combined.
7. Roll the dough into small balls and roll in the sugar. Place on the cookie sheet a few inches apart and lightly push on the top of the cookies to flatten slightly.
8. Bake for for 12-14 minutes until cracks begin to form.
9. Let cookie dry on cooling rack before adding frosting.
While the cookies are cooling, let’s make the frosting!
10. For the frosting, beat your butter until light and fluffy. Then add in your powdered sugar, vanilla, and peppermint extract until fully combined and smooth.
11. Scoop a small portion of frosting onto your cookies and smooth. garnish with crushed candy cans and enjoy!