Classic Gingerbread Cookies
Today is Day #1 of the 12 Days of Cookies and we’re starting off with some classic gingerbread cookies! Nothing says holidays more than a nice spicy gingerbread decorated with a little man or snowflake. Let’s get baking!
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by whisking together your your flour, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then, add in your molasses, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until combined.
3. Then, add in your flour mixture until fully combined and dough begins to form.
4. Add the dough to plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
5. Once dough is refrigerated, pre-heat your oven to 350 F. Then, separate your dough into 2 chunks and begin to roll out.
6. Lightly flour a surface and roll out your gingerbread until 1/8″ thick. Use Christmas themed cookie cutters to cut the dough and place on cookie sheets. Continue this step until all your dough is used.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies are just crispy on the edges.
8. Let cookies cool before decorating.
While the cookies are cooling, let’s make the icing!
9. Add all your ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk until fully combined. If your icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar, if it’s too thick, add more milk.
10. You can use a piping bag with a small cut or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off to pipe your designs.
11. Begins decorating your cookies with any preferred design.
Ta-da! Happy Holidays!
One thought on “Classic Gingerbread Cookies”