Happy Day #3 of our 12 Days of Cookies! Today we wanted to make a Christmas classic, sugar cookie pinwheels! Classic Christmas colors and soft sugar cookies dough = the perfect cookie combination. Let’s get baking!
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 cups flour
- Red and green food coloring
- White or Green/Red sugar pearls for decoration
- Start by creaming together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Then, add in your eggs, almond and vanilla extract. Beat until fully combined.
3. Then, add in your flour and salt and continue combining until fully added.
4. Separate the dough into 3 bowls. Add red food coloring to one dough and green to the other. Leave the last one white.
5. Lightly flour a surface and roll out each dough until 1/4″. After one dough is rolled out add parchment paper and set aside. Repeat the step until each dough is rolled out.
6. Add white to the bottom, red, and then green doughs on top of each other. Gently roll dough into a tube tightly so no air bubbles can form. Be careful not to crack the dough!
7. Wrap the roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
8. Then roll the dough in sprinkles and refrigerate for another 3 hours.
9. Once fully refrigerated, pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
10. Slice the rolled dough into thin slices and bake for 9-12 minutes.
11. They will be just crisp on the edges but still soft.
12. Let cool, and enjoy
One thought on “Christmas Pinwheels”