Bunny Butter Cookies
Easter is getting closer and closer and you might be wondering what to make for the festive holiday? Your family get-togethers might be canceled like ours, but you can still celebrate with some festive cookies! These cute little bunnies are tasty and buttery. A lot of butter cookies are piped into designs, but we did rolled butter cookies.
Now you may be wondering what’s the difference between a butter cookies and sugar cookies. Butter cookies usually have a softer dough than sugar cookies and hold their shape when piped and baked.
Let’s get baking!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 5 tbsp meringue powder
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- Start by creaming together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in your egg, and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined.
- Add your flour and baking powder on top of the butter mixture and then mix until dough forms.
3. Once dough forms, chill for 30-45 minutes until the dough is firm.
4. Once the dough is chilled, roll the dough on a floured surface and use some bunny cookie cutters. We used these.
5. Once the little bunnies are made, chill in the fridge for 5-10 minutes. this ensures the dough won’t flatten out in the oven and lose its shape.
6. Once the dough is chilled, bake for 6-8 minutes until the bottoms are just golden.
Let the cookies completely cool before decorating.
7. To make the royal icing, put the warm water into a small bowl.
8. In a separate bowl, whisk together your meringue powder and sugar.
9. Slowly add in your water while beating. Beat for a few minutes until fluffy and the icing is thicker.
10. Separate the icing into different bowls and use food coloring for different colors. We used, light orange, violet, light pink, and green. After coloring it, you may have to separate each color twice again so you have the flooding texture and the outline texture. (outline is thick, flooding, is the inner, less thick part)
11. Add icing to a piping bag and snip the end off. To garnish we used sanding sugar for some and some white icing for little bunny tails.
P.S. Can you spot the peep?
One thought on “Bunny Butter Cookies”