Crazy Chocolate Mocha Coffee Cupcakes
Calling all coffee lovers!! Are you an obsessive coffee fan like us and you’ve been waiting for a recipe like this? Don’t look back, this is the recipe for you! But wait! Do you love chocolate as well? Well then, there’s definitely no going back.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups butter, softened (4 sticks)
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 packs (3 grams) micro grind coffee powder/espresso powder
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 350 F. Then line 14 cupcake cups with paper.
2. Then, whisk together your flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together your eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
4. Add half of your wet mixture to your dry mixture, along with half of your buttermilk. Whisk. Then add the other half of the wet mixture and buttermilk to your dry mixture. Whisk until completely combined.
5. Scoop a bit of mixture into each of your cups, only half full. You don’t want it to spill over!
6. Bake for 18-21 minutes. Once baked, let cool before frosting.
While the cakes are cooling, we are going to make the frosting. These frosting recipes will also be posted on their own in case you ever just need a batch of frosting.
7. For the frosting, start by whipping your butter on medium-high with a paddle attachment or hand mixer.
8. Then add in your powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Make sure to scrape the sides in between.
9. Then add in your vanilla extract and coffee grinds/powder. Beat until completely combined. (If you prefer a less strong coffee flavor, I suggest using 1 packet instead of 2.)
10. Then add the frosting to a piping bag and your favorite tip. We used Wilton tip 1M.
Garnish with chocolate covered espresso beans and toffee pieces. (Optional, but the toffee is the best!)